Tuesday 22 July 2014

Udi's cookies and other Gluten Free biscuits

I love cookies and was quite happy to get some samples from Udi's at the Allergy Show.

Everyone I spoke to was raving about the "Oreo" like cookies, named "chocolate flavour sandwich cookies" by Udi's. They were delicious indeed, I was very happy to get some samples to take home.

The cookies are brilliant, although I think they need a snappier name. What about Rodeos?

Ingredients:
Sugar, Rice Flour, Potato Starch,Vegetable Fats (Palm Fat, Coconut Fat), Corn Starch, Glucose Syrup, Dextrose, Cocoa Powder (2.5%), Soya Flour, Sunflower Oil, Thickener (Xanthan Gum), Vanilla Natural Flavouring, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Salt May also contain Eggs
A serving of two cookies (30gr) has 142 calories (2.7gr saturated fat, 6.4gr sugar).
They are very nice and I would be happy to add them to my shopping list if they were easily available. They are currently available at Tesco (£3) at their Lifestyle Food Fair (till end of August, 4 for 3 at Extra stores).

However they are very similar to another cookie on the market by Lovemore.

Lovemore O'Choco Ingredients:
Rice Flour, Sugar, Vegetable Fats, Corn Starch, Cocoa Powder (7%), Potato Starch, Corn Flour, Dextrose, Glucose Syrup, Refined Sunflower Oil, Rice Starch, Raising Agent: Sodium Hydrogencarbonate, Thickener: Xanthan Gum, Flavourings, Emulsifier: Soy Lecithin, Table Salt, Biscuits contain ca. 30% of Cream
A serving of two cookies (33gr) has 148 calories (3.2gr saturated fat, 7.6gr sugar). They are sold as dairy free, so I take it that the cream they mention is soya based. I've bought them in the past at Ocado (£1.95) or Waitrose.

Between the two I wouldn't know which to choose as they are so similar. The Lovemore O'Choco cookie has a taste closer to dark chocolate and Udi's is a little bit less bitter. For me it would be a matter of availability.

What I'd like from both brands is to have the product in smaller packs of two/four biscuits so that they are easy to take away in your lunch box or when travelling (see later on review of Kelkin wafers).

I also got a sample of Udi's gluten free lemon wafers, which were delicious.
If I had to choose between the "Oreo like" and this ones, it would be a difficult choice. I've been happily testing both on and off and, as with the other ones, I'd buy them if they were easily available.

Udi's Lemon Wafer ingredients:
Cane Sugar, Potato Starch, Palm Oil, Soya Oil, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin), Citric Acid, Salt, Raising Agents (Ammonium Bicarbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Lemon Flavouring May also contain Egg, Milk, Peanuts and Tree Nuts
Available at Tesco during their Lifestlyle food Fair (£3, offer 4 for 3)
There is a chocolate option available too.

I am comparing them to Kelkin's wafers, as it's the only other wafer I've found available so far.

Kelkin Wafer Ingredients:
Milk Chocolate 80% (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Whole Milk Powder, Cocoa Mass, Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin, Natural Vanilla Flavour), Vegetable Fat, Sugar, Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Teff Flour, Soya Flour, Skimmed Cocoa Powder, Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin, Vegetable Oil, Free Range Egg Yolk, Salt, Raising Agent: Sodium Bicarbonate May contain; traces of hazelnuts and peanuts
I vaguely remember finding them at Salisbury's or Waitrose. They also have some orange Jaffa cakes that are very nice.

Which one do I prefer?
For taste I would choose Udi's one, it is lighter in consistency and it's more wafer-like. I find that Kelkin's has too much chocolate coating (very close to a KitKat).
However, I love the presentation of Kelkin's, with the individual wrap for each one. Not only it is easy to pop one in your bag or your lunch box, it also keeps the wafer in top condition until you open it.
What I found with Udi's wafer is that the first few I had were lovely and crisp, but by the time I got to the last one, it wasn't very crisp anymore. I'd say individual wrapping would be fantastic to have, as a pack of Udi's wafers is likely to last for a while, specially if there is only one coeliac/gluten intolerant in the household.

Overall, I would recommend all the biscuits here, all tasty in their different ways, just need to have them all in one supermarket to make my day!




No comments:

Post a Comment