Wednesday 19 February 2014

Spanish omelette naturally Gluten Free

I love Spanish omelette!

I remember as a child, whenever I went on a day out with my scouts group, my dad would get up early to make my lunch for the day.

It was generally a bread roll with something delicious inside, and when I got really lucky he made some Spanish omelette the night before for dinner, and kept some for my roll.
A bit of time has passed since then, and I've now learned to make it myself, but it always has so many good memories attached to it, it's always great for get togethers.
 
I cooked it recently for my sister, but of course I had to try it for quality control, very very nice.
So, if you fancy making your own, here is how to:
 
Ingredients
2 medium to large potatoes (aprox 330gr) cut in pieces (think of a plumpy 50p coin)
1 onion (aprox 250gr), roughly chopped
4 eggs, beaten
salt to taste
plenty of olive oil
Tools
A very new non stick 20 cm pan, I keep one exclusively for omelettes, otherwise it will stick and not come out in one piece
A 22 cm plate aprox to turn the omelette
Wooden spoon
Instructions
The trick is to make the onion and potatoes very slowly in the olive oil so that they become as soft as butter. It seems like it uses a lot of oil, but once cooked, the potatoes are drained of it, so it is not that much in the end.
Put the potatoes and onion in a large pan with plenty of olive oil. They don't need to be completely covered, but you need to see a little bit peeping at the top.
I used 150 ml aprox, and had left around 100ml when I drained them later.
Leave to cook slowly for aprox 30 mins or until the potatoes are so soft that you can easily break one with a wooden spoon. Then drain well the potatoes and onion and place in a clean bowl.
Add here the beaten eggs too and add salt to taste.
Heat your non-stick pan and when hot add the contents of the bowl.
It can be cooked at high heat, but feel free to keep on medium too, it'll just take a little bit longer.
Stir with the wooden spoon all the ingredients until the egg is starting to set but it is still a bit runny.
Then keep still for a bit, until more of the egg sets and it gets a more consistent texture. You can shake the pan gently and see if the omelette is moving "as one" or not.
You can also run the spoon on the border of the omelette carefully.
When it seems quite set it is time for the turn.
 
Now, don't be a hero!
There is no need to throw the mix in the air while some cheese 80s music plays in the background...
Take your plate, position safely on top of the pan, full palm open on top, turn the pan quickly, and slide the omelette back on the pan, uncooked side down.
Leave to set for a few minutes; you can tap the top of the omelette with the spoon to check how set it is.
Once you are happy with it, slide back out onto a plate and enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment